/Programs/Chocolate Making from the Bean
Chocolate Making from the Bean
Source cocoa beans. Roast. Winnow. Grind. Temper chocolate and mold into bars. The steps sound simple, but there is so much knowledge that goes into each one. If you want to learn to make delicious chocolate from scratch using dried cocoa beans, this program is for you. The two-month, 100% online Chocolate Making from the Bean Program covers the entire chocolate making and manufacturing process, including setting up your chocolate factory. How do we teach chocolate making online?
Next program: February 4 - April 8, 2022.
Note: If you had planned to join the session starting September 17th, you may still join until October 3 and catch up.
Chocolate Making from the Bean Program Registration Fee:
$525.00 US or CAD funds (plus GST for Canadian Residents)
Or, want to get started on your chocolate making business plan?
Chocolate Making from the Bean Program PLUS Registration Fee:
$720.00 US or CAD (plus GST for Canadian Residents)
With the Chocolate Making from the Bean Program PLUS, you add the Business Plan for Chocolate Makers Program at $195.00 - a $50.00 savings. This also allows you another four weeks in the Chocolate Making From the Bean curriculum for extra study and research while you take the Business Plan for Chocolate Makers curriculum.
Note: These registration fees do not include chocolate which will be needed to complete the Understanding Chocolate Flavor and Sourcing Cocoa Beans Modules. This chocolate could cost approximately $200.00 US.
NEW STUDENTS, to register for either program, click here: NEW STUDENT REGISTRATION
Ecole Chocolat STUDENTS OR GRADUATES, to register for either program, click here: REGISTRATION
What Will I Learn?
- Develop a resource list for chocolate making equipment and suppliers.
- Research current chocolate manufacturers to gain an understanding of the scope of the industry.
- Understand the issues around cocoa sustainability and social justice in order to make cocoa sourcing choices that align with your values.
Understanding chocolate flavor
- Understand chocolate chemistry and flavor as well as the ingredients and processes that contribute to taste.
- Conduct a formal series of tastings in order to develop your chocolate tasting palate.
Sourcing cocoa beans – your most important ingredient
- Increase your knowledge of cocoa beans and their sourcing from specialized distributors and agents.
- Understand cacao bean post-harvest processing best practices and steps to ensuring quality and traceability.
- Want to get your hands dirty? We include an Optional Exercise in sensory evaluation of cocoa beans.
Chocolate manufacturing process
- Understand the processes and machinery needed to turn dried cocoa beans into beautiful chocolate.
- Gain the knowledge you need on chocolate crystallization, tempering and best manufacturing practices.
- Want to get your hands dirty? We include two Optional Exercises for those students who already have chocolate making machinery or those who prefer to buy machinery to use during the program: a) roasting, cracking and winnowing cocoa beans and b) grinding, refining and conching your chocolate mass.
Formulating your operations plan
- Understand the financial and human resources needed to run a chocolate-manufacturing business.
- Make informed decisions on finding your location, equipping your facility and planning for production.
Click here to see the curriculum of the optional Business Plan for Chocolate Makers Module
Your Learning Experience
When is the chocolate making program offered during the year?
We offer sessions of the program starting in February and September each year.
Is there a restriction on the number of students you take each session?
Even though the curriculum is online, we do cut off registrations when we reach the maximum number of students our instructor and online tutor feel they have adequate time to be able to work with properly.
TO ENSURE A SEAT IN THE PROGRAM, check the program date above to see if the current session is still open. When the program is full, we change the program date to the future session.
How do we teach chocolate making online?
Students will be assessed by completion of assignments throughout the program.
Students completing the program with a score of 70% or more will receive an Ecole Chocolat Certificate of Achievement.
What our graduates have to say
“Absolutely!!! and beyond. The curriculum provided information in areas I haven't contemplated before and that are relevant for the chocolate maker. Yes, I gained the knowledge I need and in addition I started developing my palate, something I now understand is imperative for a chocolate maker. Just want to say MANY THANKS!! I loved the program and it has been a great investment. The pace and content is very well designed.”
Joanna, March ‘21 Graduate
“Far exceeded anything I could have imagined. Amazing!! I gained so much knowledge, and am even more excited then I was when I started. The knowledge far exceeded my expectations.”
Dana, March ‘21 Graduate
“Yes, the course definitely met my expectations. I thought the depth of knowledge and information was helpful and detailed. I think the course has helped advance my chocolate making and my understanding of the industry as well as, provided very useful resources for equipment down the road."
Sarah, March ‘21 Graduate
Home chocolate artisans!
If you want to become an expert in chocolate making, but are not interested in starting a business, we offer the Cacao to Chocolate Stream during the program. Click here for more information
You can cancel from the Chocolate Making from the Bean Program up to three days before the start of the program. A refund of your registration fee, minus a 10% administration fee, may take approximately 10 working days to process. Because our programs are usually full, and in order to make sure all students are committed, on the start date of your program, your registration fee becomes non-refundable and non-transferable to another session (except in extraordinary circumstances).
Get reminders about upcoming classes! To receive program updates and news, click the link below.