/Chocolate Resources/Chocolate Blog/Making Marshmallows from Scratch
Making Marshmallows from Scratch
Make your own marshmallows at home & you'll never go back to store bought
Dreamy, white clouds of sugar fluff - you can't go wrong with marshmallows. My favourite marshmallow recipe is adapted from Peter Grewling's book "Chocolates & Confections", and uses 5 different sugars, making it a perfect contribution to our sugar series.
- 40g gelatin
- 230g cold water, for hydration
- 680g sugar
- 340g glucose syrup
- 110g honey
- 110g invert sugar
- 170g water
- 20g vanilla extract confectioners sugar, as needed
1. Prepare a half sheet pan with a piece of parchment, oiled.
2. Stir the gelatin into 230g cold water to hydrate.
3. Combine the sugar, glucose syrup, honey, invert sugar, and 170g water in a sauce pan and cook to 122 Celsius.
4. Pour the cooked sugar into a stand mixer and allow to cool to 100 Celsius.
5. While the syrup cools, melt the hydrated gelatin in a bain marie over a water bath. Be careful not to let it get too hot - take it off of the heat as soon as it is melted.
6. Pour the gelatin into the cooked sugar syrup and, using the whisk attachment, whip on high speed until well aerated, about 10 minutes, then add the vanilla and mix until it is blended in.
7. Spread the marshmallow into the prepared pan, and then cover the marshmallow with another piece of oiled parchment. Allow to set for 24 hours.
8. Peel the parchment off of the marshmallow and dust with confectioners sugar, and then cut into the desired shape. Store in a sealed container.
You can adapt this recipe many ways. For example, you can add cocoa powder to make chocolate marshmallows, or reduced fruit puree to make fruit flavours. Try your marshmallow slabbed over a ganache for a two layer piece, or cut into squares for hot chocolate or smores.
These marshmallows take a little longer to roast than the store bought kind, but it is well worth it!
Want to learn more about making delicious chocolates and confections? Check out our Professional Chocolatier Program!
Get reminders about upcoming classes! To receive program updates and news, click the link below.